Saturday, August 24, 2013

My Two Constant Companions

tumblr_m20gy3QOrk1r41gowo1_1280

Yes, I’m a member and always will be..



My two constant companions anywhere I go are these friends of mine:
tumblr_lzcpstjnkA1qat815o1_500
These are only 2 of my pistols; a Glock 17 3rd gen and a Glock 21 1st gen.
Since the military, I was never a fan of “plastic” guns. I had only met one person that actually had a Glock back in the late 80s and that was while a friend and I were out hunting.
Even when I was a bounty hunter (temporary), I always used a 1911 Colt Gov. Model, but I traded it in on a Smith and Wesson 44 magnum – model 86 I think it was.
There was a reason for going to a revolver instead of a trusty 1911.

The Intimidation Factor

Looking at the business end of a 1911, you only see the hole of the barrel – a Big hole, but only one hole nonetheless.
With the revolver, especially a 44 magnum, you see the hole in the barrel and the bullets on either side – Big Bullets.
Anyway, that was my reason for going  to a revolver instead of keeping the semi-auto.
Fast Forward many years
I was looking to get back into firearms since I (we, the family) had not had a handgun in the house for YEARS. I had my shotguns, black powder and rifles for hunting, but no side-arms.
I was working out of town, probably 6 or 7 years ago and stopped at a pawn shop and looked at their pistols. There were several Smith and Wesson, Rugars, and Glocks. I picked out a Smith & Wesson 40ve. Bought it and went straight to the range. The travel on that trigger was like a football field long! I couldn’t get used to it!
The next time, I picked up a Ruger – damn… Can’t remember the model but it was the worst firearm I had ever shot!
Not because it was a Ruger. I’ve had Rugers before and they are damn fine pistols, but this one was a “new model” The trigger pull was gritty, and awful..
So,, at one time, I had around 8 pistols (left out a few from here).
I took the S&W40 and the Ruger and traded them in for a Glock 17 3rd Gen. I bout the pistol and a couple of boxes of 9mm bullets on the way to the shooting range – I know, I wasn’t a fan of “plastic guns”, but I decided to try it anyway.
Got to the range, loaded up both magazines and stepped out on the open firing range. Nobody was there and I was there during a weekday and around 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon.
Put a target up and stepped back to the 7 yard line – around 15 feet. (it was the 2nd line, not the 3 yard line). Rolled the slide back and loaded the pistol – took aim and let one go. I at least hit the target, but I was more interested in how the pistol felt when firing it.
From that moment on, I was a convert. I LOVE Glocks now and the more I use them, the more I like them!
Don’t get me wrong now, I still Love a 1911 and have one. It is a true piece of firearm history. I carried one (and others) while in the military and will always love a good 1911 pistol.
The ONLY stove-pipes I have Ever had on any of my Glocks was because of cheap ammo. Both times, when I removed the bullet from the chamber and after giving it a good look over, I found both bullets had an imperfection on the brass, a ever so slight split with one of the corners peeled back.
I’ll have to find the picture I took of one of them, can’t find it right now.
I wish I could say that the one bad Ruger pistol I had hasn’t jaded me on Ruger, but the sad truth is, I am. Not jaded on ALL Rugers, but when I see or hear that particular Ruger model discussed, I’m completely turned off.
I’ve even read some well known personal defense people review that particular model and gave it glowing/raving reviews, but I know it’ll be a LOOOONG time before I would feel comfortable owning that model and relying on it.
Reliability is the key. THIS is the reason I will always be a Glock person. Sure, Kimber is a good pistol and a masterpiece of workmanship, but if I have to put my life in a pistol’s hands – it’ll be a Glock.

FOUND IT!

Ruger SR9  (not the SR9c)

RugerSR9
What made it so bad was it felt really good in my hands but it would jam on every other bullet almost and I used all kinds of ammo.
I was fresh on the market – it had only been out a few months when I bought it.
Someone once mentioned it might have been a prototype model that got loose in the wild.
I took that damn pistol apart so many times looking for what was causing the Really crappy / gritty trigger pull and found it. I don’t remember the name of the particular piece that was rubbing against the slide when it moved but I could see the wear on the piece and on the slide from where it was making contact.
Will I ever have another Ruger – MOST Definitely!
Will I ever have another SR9probably not.
For anyone out there that loves Ruger, I am NOT knocking Ruger at All. But this just shows what one bad firearm can do to your trust.
Next to the Glock, my Smith and Wesson M&P 9 is my Go To weapon, but that’s for another post.. Open-mouthed smile

No comments:

Post a Comment